History at Nendrum College
“If you think you have it tough, read History books. ”
― Bill Maher
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." - Anne Frank
Time allocation per week at KS3: 1hour 45mins
Key Stage 3
Topics include –
- What is History? - learning the skills to be an historian.
- Norman Ireland - who were the Normans, where did they come from and how did they change Ireland?
- Medieval life - death, disease and crime and punishment!
- The Reformation and Henry VIII
- The Plantation of Ulster
- Rivalry and Conflict in Ireland
- Black Peoples of America
- 20th Century
- World War 1
- Treatment of the Jews - the Holocaust
- Causes and Consequences of partition
Key Stage 4
GCSE examining board: CCEA
Units covered at KS4:
Unit 1 worth 60%
Exam taken at the end of year 11
Life under Nazi dictatorship, 1933-45
- Life in Nazi Germany and The Holocaust.
Changing Relations: Northern Ireland and its Neighbours, 1920 - 49
- Northern Ireland, Eire and Britain during the Second World War.
Unit 2 worth 40%
Exam taken at the end of year 12
The Cold War(1945-1991)
- The Korean War, Building of the Berlin Wall, The Cuban Missile Crisis and The Vietnam War.
Trips and events
Meet the Normans and learn about the weapons they used.
Years 11 & 12
Visit Crumlin Road Gaol.