History at Nendrum College
“If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. ”
― Michael Crichton
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." - Anne Frank
Time allocation per week at KS3: 1hour 45mins
Key Stage 3
Topics include –
- History Master - learning the skills to be an historian.
- Norman Ireland - who were the Normans, where did they come from and how did they change Ireland?
- Medieval life - death, disease and crime and punishment!
- The Reformation
- The Plantation
- Rivalry and Conflict in Ireland
- Black Peoples of America
- World War 1
- Treatment of the Jews - the Holocaust
- Causes and Consequences of partition
Key Stage 4
GCSE examining board: CCEA
Units covered at KS4:
Life under Nazi dictatorship, 1933-45
- Life in Nazi Germany and The Holocaust.
Changing Relations: Northern Ireland and its Neighbours, 1920 - 49
The Cold War(1945-1991)
- Northern Ireland, Eire and Britain during the Second World War.
- The Korean War, Building of the Berlin Wall, The Cuban Missile Crisis and The Vietnam War.
Trips and events
Meet the Normans and learn about the weapons they used.
Learn about life in a Trench at the Somme Centre.
Years 11 & 12
Meet a survivor of the Holocaust.
Visit Crumlin Road Gaol.