History at Nendrum College
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." - Anne Frank
Time allocation per week at KS3: 1hour 45mins
Key Stage 3
Topics include –
- History Master - learning the skills to be an historian.
- Norman Ireland - who were the Normans, where did they come from and how did they change Ireland?
- Medieval life - death, disease and crime and punishment!
- The Reformation
- The Plantation
- Rivalry and Conflict in Ireland
- Black Peoples of America
- World War 1
- Treatment of the Jews - the Holocaust
- Causes and Consequences of partition
Key Stage 4
GCSE examining board: CCEA
Units covered at KS4:
Northern Ireland (1965 - 1985)
- The rise of Hitler, Life in Nazi Germany and The Holocaust.
The Cold War(1945-1991)
- O'Neill's Reforms, NICRA, Arrival of British troops, Internment, Bloody Sunday, the Hunger strikes and the Anglo Irish Agreement.
- The Korean War, Building of the Berlin Wall, The Cuban Missile Crisis and The Vietnam War.
- An investigative study in class based on the Nazi treatment of the Jews.
Trips and events
We spend a summers day visiting Inch Abbey and Dundrum Castle, where we have a great weapons talk from a master medieval expert!
Up to 25 pupils get the chance to travel to Enniskillen to meet a Holocaust survivor.
Years 11 & 12
As part of our GCSE we visit Stormont and spend a day in Derry/Londonderry investigating the history of that fascinating city.
The History Department also go on tour. In June 2016 we will be going to the Somme for 4 days.